Bexar County Campaign Coordinator
Background: Changing Texas from the Cities Out
TOP is currently engaged in an in depth planning process to identify our next comprehensive issue campaign and map out our organizational priorities for the next two years in Bexar County. This process begins with our theory of change for Texas, which includes the idea that it is critical to organize campaigns that win policy solutions at the local level. A major piece of our planning process is field testing to find the right issue that will inspire and galvanize huge numbers of currently unengaged Latinos, resulting in dramatic increases in participation at the ballot box and in grassroots organizing. By Spring of 2016 we will be ready to launch our next comprehensive strategic campaign in San Antonio.
Job Description: Bexar County Campaign Coordinator
Texas Organizing Project is seeking a talented and dedicated Campaign Coordinator to help build our organization as part of an exciting effort interweaving community grassroots organizing, electoral organizing, and policy advocacy focused on issues directly impacting low- to middle-income Latino communities in San Antonio. The Campaign Coordinator will be key in working with community members to build power for their communities and carrying out an innovative plan that will begin addressing some of these systemic issues.
The ideal candidate is an experienced community organizer who is also a coalition-builder and strategist who believes deeply in the importance of building community leadership, capacity and power. The Campaign Coordinator will be responsible for working with community leaders, staff, and allies to create and execute a sophisticated campaign plan. S/he must be able to organize and effectively communicate at all levels – with grassroots community people as well as established community leaders and policy experts. The Campaign Coordinator will report directly to the Organizing Director and work closely with members, community organizers, existing community leaders and core partners in building TOP as an organization.
Key Areas of Responsibility
• Plan and execute a sophisticated and winning campaign strategy by working with staff, allies, and member leaders.
• Work with a staff team to help create and execute the campaign plan.
• Recruit, turnout and develop member leaders across a variety of low and moderate income neighborhoods in San Antonio.
• Together with the organizing team and leaders, build a base of TOP members who will demand changes and create the political climate that allows for those changes to be adopted.
• Arrange for and prepare community leaders to host community meetings and events.
• Provide leadership and organizing training to members.
• Develop and manage relationships with key partners to strengthen campaign.
• Identify opportunities to organize actions and events to raise the profile of the campaign.
• Work with key partners on joint campaign strategy, event scheduling, logistics planning and community turnout.
• Coordinate campaign messaging, talking points and strategy with TOP’s communications department.
• Regularly communicate the campaign’s progress to our staff, members, and allies.
• Coordinate, collaborate and strategize in tandem with TOP leadership, staff and key partners.
• Work with staff and allies to identify online and social media tactics to move strategy forward.
• Use VAN to track data and metrics that relate to campaign progress.
• Enhance our reputation and brand, and promote our values.
• Drive culture among staff that embodies the values of the organization, accountability, self-development, and pride in smart and effective staff work.
• Other duties, as required.
Qualifications and Competencies
• Excellent community organizing skills, strategizing, and following through on organizing campaign.
• Passion and commitment to social, economic, and racial justice.
• Proven manager and supervisor capable of building high performing teams and motivating and developing staff.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills with demonstrated focus on research, policy analysis, outreach, and targeted communications.
• Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
• Relentless drive, tenacity and a willingness to do what it takes to advance our mission and values.
• Excellent time management, project management and delegation skills.
• Ability to work effectively with strong personalities, peers, public officials, and allies.
• Familiarity with nonprofit role in advocacy.
• Knowledge of VAN or similar database.
• Similar experience in grassroots nonprofit, labor, or political organization.
• Belief in and ability to animate TOP’s values: Passion, Perseverance, Vision, Justice and Integrity.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
Please email a resume, cover letter and three professional references to: email@example.com with “Bexar County Campaign Coordinator” in the subject line.