Employment: Immigration Campaign Organizer
Texas Organizing Project is seeking a talented and dedicated organizer to build our organization by helping drive a campaign for immigrant rights in Dallas County.
With our new governor leading the charge to stop President Obama’s 2014 executive action for DAPA and DACA, Texas is ground zero for the fight back against anti-immigrant efforts. TOP has led the statewide effort to demand that Gov. Abbott meet with immigrant families and drop the lawsuit. Additionally, Dallas County TOP leaders have headed up a coalition effort to get Dallas County to break ties with ICE. Our strategy has included direct actions, birddogging, and communications tactics to apply public pressure on our targets and shift the narrative around immigration issues in Texas.
The ideal candidate is an experienced community organizer who is also a coalition-builder and strategist and believes deeply in the importance of building community leadership, capacity and power. The Campaign Organizer will work in partnership with other staff and leaders to together drive campaign strategy and execution. S/he will be responsible for working with community leaders to execute a sophisticated campaign plan, coordinate related activities and efforts of allies to advance our campaign priorities and establish the basis for longer-term, ongoing work in each county. S/he must be able to organize and effectively communicate at all levels – with grassroots community people as well as established community leaders and policy experts. The campaign organizer will report directly to the county director and will also work closely with existing community leaders, community organizers and core partners in building TOP as an organization.
Key areas of responsibility:
• Build a base of TOP members, the majority of whom are directly impacted by immigration issues, who will participate in demanding changes from decision makers and creating the political climate that allows for those changes to be adopted.
• Recruit, turn out and develop community leaders across a variety of low and moderate income neighborhoods of color.
• Execute a sophisticated and winning campaign strategy by working with community leaders, staff, and allies.
• Identify hot organizing issues that members want to organize around.
• Organize direct actions, events, and other tactics to move the campaign forward.
• Coordinate campaign messaging, traditional media work, mass communications, and digital organizing with TOP’s communications department.
• Regularly communicate the campaign’s progress to our members, staff, and partners.
• Work with the existing database (VAN) to track members, participation and progress towards achieving success.
• Develop and manage relationships with partner organizations.
• Work with partners to move the campaign forward. This may include joint strategy meetings, joint actions or other events, relationship building, etc.
• Manage and develop relationships key stakeholders and decision makers.
• Enhance our reputation and brand, and promote our values.
• Other duties, as required.
Competencies and qualifications:
• Excellent community organizing skills, strategizing, and execution of organizing campaigns
• Passion and commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills with demonstrated focus on research, policy analysis, outreach, and targeted communications
• Critical thinking and problem solving skills
• Relentless drive, tenacity and a willingness to do what it takes to advance our mission and values
• Excellent time management, project management, and delegation skills
• Ability to work effectively with strong personalities, peers, public officials, and allies
• Familiarity with nonprofit role in advocacy
• Similar experience in grassroots organizing, labor, or political organization
• Bilingual in English and Spanish
• Willingness to work long and often irregular hours including evenings and weekends
• Fulltime access to a car
• Computer competency – Word, Internet required; Experience in working with database systems a plus
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
Please email a resume, cover letter and three professional references to email@example.com.