Strategic Campaign Researcher (San Antonio)
Working families are struggling across Texas, and the Texas Organizing Project (TOP) is bringing people together to do something about it. TOP is a statewide, member-based organization of low- and moderate-income families who are fighting for and winning positive changes in our neighborhoods, cities and states on a consistent basis. We believe that, to make systemic change, we must build power through community organizing and civic engagement, in partnership with other progressive organizations and labor unions.
TOP campaigns are in six (6) issue areas: Health Care, Immigration, Education, Good Jobs, Neighborhood Standards and Improvements, and Criminal Justice Reform. A membership-based organization, TOP conducts issue advocacy, lobbying efforts and electoral organizing by empowering working families in Texas. We are an energetic and tight knit team that works hard and is supportive of one another. We are a financially viable and family friendly organization that is currently organizing in San Antonio/Bexar County, Dallas County and Houston/Harris County.
In San Antonio/Bexar County, TOP is working to engage community residents in fighting for neighborhood improvements, participating in building electoral power, fighting for immigration reform locally and statewide, reforming our criminal justice system and visioning a better San Antonio and Bexar County. We are working to make sure that local elected and business leaders are accountable to working families and communities of color – making sure we are using public resources for affordable housing and good jobs, demanding equal distribution of resources across all neighborhoods, ensuring that our leaders are protecting our most vulnerable families including immigrant communities, and fighting for good jobs with a $15 minimum wage. We also run some of the largest, grassroots electoral operations in the state, moving volunteers and running paid canvasses to get-out-the-vote in local and state elections including over 30,000 voters in Bexar County since 2012.
Be a part of creating real change in Texas. Apply now to help build a movement in San Antonio that creates a vehicle for working class families to win concrete improvements in our communities.
· Strong commitment to progressive social change.
· Activist experience in labor, political or community organizing is ideal.
· Excellent writing and communications skills a must.
· Strong research & quantitative skills.
· Computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, & Access and a variety of computer-based research tools.
· Self-disciplined and rigorous work ethic
· Ideal candidate will have research experience in the following: economic / financial research on company or industries, budget analysis of public agency and publicly funded agencies, corporate campaigning
· Experience utilizing research data to inform and develop campaign strategies.
· Ability to work well under tight deadlines and in a team environment.
· Coursework in economics, statistics, political science and public policy a plus.
· Passionate about fighting for and winning economic justice
· Bilingual English-Spanish speakers encouraged to apply
· Willingness to work long and irregular hours, and attend required evening and weekend activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Researchers are responsible for conducting in-depth research in support of assigned campaigns. This particular position will support criminal justice reform campaign efforts in San Antonio and Dallas and campaign, policy and power analysis research for our San Antonio organizing efforts. The researcher will develop and execute a research work plan that reflects campaign objectives working jointly with their direct supervisor, campaign coordinators and organizing leads, and member leaders.
The work will include:
● Exploratory campaign research, data gathering and analysis,
● Creation of campaign materials (including reports), and community education tools and activities.
● Review of existing judicial system policies in Dallas and San Antonio to map out existing policies and understand reform opportunities
● Political and power analysis of judicial systems in both counties and the City of San Antonio/Bexar County
● Assessment of existing city priorities – budget analysis, housing policies, neighborhood improvement efforts,
● Profiles of key political, corporate and community stakeholder individuals and organizations.
Salary will be commensurate with experience; TOP has a competitive pay scale. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
Applicants should email cover letter, resume, and three references to: email@example.com with “Strategic Campaigns Researcher” in the subject line.
TOP is an equal opportunity employer – women and people of color are encouraged to apply.