Position: Housing Justice Organizer: Working under the supervision of the TOP Housing Justice Campaign Director, the Community Organizer will be directly responsible for developing relationships with directly impacted community members and civic leaders to establish an active group of Houston residents who can effectively advocate for housing issues to impact policy reforms in Houston and Harris County. Currently, Houston TOP is working to ensure our Black & Latino low income communities recover equitably from Hurricane Harvey, reform the criminal justice system so it works for our communities & make the immigration system more just.
• Build a community centered membership base
• Identify and develop grassroots leaders through ongoing organizing efforts
• Organize events including house meetings, neighborhood meetings, press conferences, town halls, and forums on at least a monthly basis
• Working with the Campaign Director and Lead Organizer to help develop a comprehensive strategy to advance campaign goals
• Conduct grassroots lobbying activities including petition drives, letter writing campaigns and meetings with local elected officials
• Work closely with Housing Lead Organizer to maintain regular communications with campaign members
• Help develop and execute community organizing plans; map out key community and constituent targets; and identify and implement effective strategies to engage impacted communities
• Prepare written reports and compile statistical data as required
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues
• Strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills
• Ability to work well with all religious, cultural, ethnic and social groups
• Must be committed to building Black & Latino power/solidarity
• Willingness to work long and often irregular hours including evenings and weekends
• Valid driver’s license and full time access to a car
• Bilingual in both Spanish and English is a plus
• Computer competency – Google Suite, Internet required; Experience in working with database systems a plus
Salary: $40-43,000. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave, and mileage/travel reimbursement.
Applicants should e-mail résumé, cover letter, and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.