EMPLOYMENT: Healthcare Justice Organizer (Dallas)
About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP, has become the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. We have a base of over 275,000 community members and supporters who are reflective Texas’ growing population – people of color, low-moderate income families. Through on the ground organizing, grass-roots leader trainings, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, activating over 200,000 voters of color each election cycle.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Community Organizer for Health Justice Campaign
TOP is seeking a community organizer in both Houston and Dallas for who is highly motivated, creative and committed to social justice. Working under the supervision of the campaign director, the community organizer will be directly responsible for developing relationships with community members and civic leaders to establish an active group of community leaders who can effectively advocate for healthcare justice, (ie. increasing access in the local level, Medicaid expansion, and single payer healthcare), hold elected officials accountable, and able to advocate for effective policy reforms across Texas.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Build a community-led supporter base
- Identify, recruit and develop grassroots leaders through campaign activities and ongoing training
- Work with leaders to build the Healthcare Justice campaign committee
- Organize and drive turnout to events including neighborhood meetings, press conferences, town halls, and forums on at least a bi-weekly basis
- Help develop a comprehensive strategy to advance campaign goals
- Conduct grassroots lobbying activities with community leaders including petition drives, letter writing campaigns and meetings with local elected officials
- Maintain regular communications with the community
- Help develop and execute organizing plans; map out key community and constituent targets; and identify and implement effective strategies to engage impacted communities
- Develop and maintain relationships with community allies
- Prepare written reports and compile statistical data as required
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well with all religious, cultural, ethnic and social groups
- Ability to move community members to action.
- Ability to identify, recruit and develop community leaders.
- Willingness to work long and often irregular hours, including evenings and weekends;
- Willingness to learn and grow within the TOP culture.
- Full time access to a car.
- Bilingual in both Spanish and English is strongly preferred.
- Computer competency – Word, Internet required; Experience in working with database systems (VAN or other) is a plus.
**Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
***The salary range for this position is $40,000 to $43,000.
****Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com.