About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP has become a leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. We have a base of over 277,000 members and supporters who are reflective of Texas’s growing population – people of color, low-moderate income families. Through on the ground organizing, grass-roots leader trainings, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments in criminal justice, neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights. TOP and its partner PACs have also run the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, running program in four of the largest counties.
Since 2010, our efforts have attempted over 1 million unique voters. Most recently, in 2018, our programs turned out over 465,000 largely voters of color of which over 270,000 were unlikely midterm voters. Our electoral work has helped elect progressive champions at the municipal, school board, county, state and federal level and our organizing and leader development work has resulted in progressive policy that has changed the lives of families in our communities in the now-changing South.
Job Description: TOP’s culture is a highly collaborative environment that engages staff and members as full partners. TOP’s Political Field Director works in partnership with 2-3 experienced County Political Organizers who are experienced in GOTV and community programs. Political Organizers are based in each of TOP’s geographical regions. TOP’s Political Field Director’s core responsibilities include: designing and implementing statewide, county, and municipal electoral paid and volunteer GOTV programs that deliver change for TOP’s community base; building TOP’s membership base and development of leaders who are strategically involved in TOP’s electoral decision making and are connected to TOP issue organizing; driving TOP’s engagement with elected officials and candidates for office in support of TOP’s issue organizing campaigns; and engaging the organization in election protection and election administration in partnership with key allies.
● Manage Political Organizers to grow the number of new grassroots leaders who are fundamental to driving TOP’s progressive agenda. This includes expanding TOP’s membership base, increasing membership participation in TOP events, and deepening the base of members who volunteer as electoral and political organizers, using a metric based analytics to evaluate success
● Collaborate with Campaign Directors, county Political Organizers, and TOP leaders to make strategic decisions about TOP’s electoral engagement strategy – this includes a political strategy that advances issue campaign organizing efforts and endorsement and direct electoral strategy
● Work with Political Organizers, Campaign Directors, and TOP leaders to drive candidate interviews and endorsement processes – ensuring that this work advances our organizing and issue priorities
● Train and develop political organizers and TOP leaders to ensure that they have the tools necessary to design and have meaningful participation in volunteer GOTV programs. Supervise political organizers in the execution of these programs
● Work with a team, research, provide analysis and actualize win scenarios, develop budgets, create target voter universes, compose scripts, co-create literature, co-create logistical, finance, HR needs and processes, co-create data management systems, hire and supervise GOTV team members, identify coordination opportunities, provide regular reports and final analysis of GOTV efforts
● Understand local and state political landscape, often in partnership with progressive allies across the state
● Fundraising responsibilities include creating written proposals
● Provide high-level strategic advice to the Executive Director, and Campaign Directors and TOP Leaders on program development including long-term strategy and growth, targeting, electoral, legislative and ballot initiative opportunities
Qualifications and competencies:
● Five to ten years experience working in organizing and electoral spaces
● Data driven; results oriented
● Track record of achievement, perseverance despite obstacles
● Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and work under tight deadlines
● Exemplary proficiency in interpersonal communication, listening, and conflict resolution; diplomatic in resolving issues
● Can exercise a high level of autonomous decision making and problem solving
● Experience building, managing and working in an organization grounded in team work
● Experience working in membership driven organizations
● High level skills in data management, voter targeting, and electoral analysis.
● Experience building and implementing small and large scale electoral programs, both volunteer and paid programs
● Successful engagement in coalition work
● Intermediate to advanced understanding of election law and/or ability to develop this expertise
● Ability to think and plan strategically
● Direct community organizing experience a plus
● Technical experience in the design and management of electoral field operations
● Technical experience using voter files, phone/text programs, digital outreach, and additional programs used for voter outreach
Characteristics of the Position:
● Regular travel
● Willingness to go the extra mile to get the job done
● Some evening and weekend hours will be required – with ramp up during election time
● Position reports to TOP Deputy Director
TOP is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Please email a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
***Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.