About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP, has become the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. We have a base of over 100,000 members and supporters who are reflective Texas’ growing population – people of color, low-moderate income families. Through on the ground organizing, grass-roots leader training, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement, we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, activating over 200,000 voters of color each election cycle.
Job Description: Community Organizer for Right 2 Justice Campaign (Harris) TOP is seeking a community organizer for who is highly motivated, creative and committed to social justice. Working under the supervision of the lead organizer, the community organizer will be directly responsible for developing relationships with community members and civic leaders to establish an active group of community leaders who can effectively advocate for criminal justice reform, the accountability of elected officials, and effective policy reforms across Texas.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Follow up on hot leads generated through digital outreach and GOTV program
- Identify and create ways to build the list of TOP supporters
- Build the community membership base
- Identify, recruit and develop grassroots leaders through campaign activities and ongoing training
- Organize and drive turnout to events including neighborhood meetings, press conferences, town halls, and forums
- Help develop a comprehensive strategy to advance campaign goals
- Conduct grassroots lobbying activities with community leaders including petition drives, letter writing campaigns and meetings with local elected officials
- Help develop and execute organizing plans; map out key community and constituent targets; and identify and implement effective strategies to engage impacted communities
- Prepare written reports and compile statistical data as required
- Prep members for public speaking opportunities
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills
- Ability to work well with all religious, cultural, ethnic and social groups
- Ability to move community members to action
- Ability to identify, recruit and develop community leaders
- Willingness to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends
- Willingness to learn and grow within the TOP culture
- Computer competency – Zoom, Google Docs, Internet required; experience in working with database systems (VAN or other) is a plus.
- One to two years organizing experience preferred
People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary: $40,000 – $43,000 per year, depending on experience. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
Applicants should email cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com.