About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP has become a leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state, Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. We have a base of over 277,000 members and supporters who are reflective of Texas’s growing population – people of color, low-moderate income families. Through on the ground organizing, grass-roots leader trainings, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments in criminal justice, neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights. TOP and its partner PACs have also run the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, running program in four of the largest counties.
Since 2010, our efforts have attempted over 1 million unique voters. Most recently, in 2018, our programs turned out over 465,000 largely voters of color of which over 270,000 were unlikely midterm voters. Our electoral work has helped elect progressive champions at the municipal, school board, county, state and federal level and our organizing and leader development work has resulted in progressive policy that has changed the lives of families in our communities in the now-changing South.
TOP’s culture is a highly collaborative environment that engages staff and members as full partners. TOP’s Political Director will work in collaboration with the Director of Electoral Strategy to lead, build and strengthen the organization’s statewide electoral organizing program to build power for our members and advance the issue priorities of our membership.
The work of the Statewide Political Director will include:
● Manage TOP’s statewide and local endorsements start to finish, working with Political Organizers, Campaign Directors, and TOP leaders to drive candidate interviews and endorsement decisions – ensuring that this work advances our organizing and issue priorities. This includes providing strategic analysis of the “winability” of a races and “viability” of candidates, developing the materials and tools for leaders to make informed decisions, facilitating member prep meetings, screenings with candidates and endorsement votes
● Train and develop political organizers and TOP leaders to ensure that they have the tools necessary to design and have meaningful participation in volunteer GOTV programs. Supervise political organizers in the execution of these programs
● Constant monitoring of the Harris County and state political landscape with an eye towards advancing the goals of our priority campaigns and building power for our members. This will include managing some political relationships with elected leaders often in conjunction with organizing Leads and Directors to move forward campaign goals
● Manage Harris County progressive ally relationships, representing TOP in some specific coalition work
● Manage some national and statewide ally and coalition relationships – maintaining relationships with key principals of partner organizations and representing the organization and our priorities in coalition meetings. Supervises the work of 2-3 County Political Organizers who are responsible for running county GOTV programs, managing some local ally relationships and electoral coalition work, and doing the work county-based screening and endorsement efforts and play a supporting role in and community programs. Political Organizers are based in each of TOP’s geographical regions
● Support the Director of Electoral Strategy in building out a robust GOTV program for local, state and federal elections – helping drive research and planning and sometimes taking the lead on campaigns in specific geographies or key elements of the GOTV program – ie digital strategy, messaging, etc.
● Some fundraising responsibilities include creating written proposals
● Provide high-level strategic advice to the Executive Director, and Campaign Directors and TOP Leaders on program development including long-term strategy and growth, targeting, electoral, legislative and ballot initiative opportunities
● Engaging the organization in election protection and election administration in partnership with key allies
Qualifications and competencies:
● Five to ten years experience working in organizing and electoral spaces
● Data driven; results oriented; strategic thinker
● Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and work under tight deadlines
● Exemplary proficiency in interpersonal communication, listening, and conflict resolution; diplomatic in resolving issues
● Can exercise a high level of autonomous decision making and problem solving
● Experience building, managing and working in an organization grounded in team work
● Skills in data management, voter targeting, and electoral analysis and election tools – voter file, phone/text programs, digital outreach, and additional programs used for voter outreach
● Experience building and implementing small and large scale electoral programs, both volunteer and paid programs
● Successful engagement in coalition work
● Knowledge of election law and/or ability to develop this expertise
● Experience working in membership driven organizations; direct community organizing experience a plus
Characteristics of the Position:
● Regular travel
● Willingness to go the extra mile to get the job done
● Some evening and weekend hours will be required – with ramp up during election time
● Position reports to Director of Electoral Strategy
TOP is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Please email a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com.
***Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.