About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP is the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state: Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. TOP has a base of more than 300,000 members and supporters who reflect Texas’ growing population of Black and Latino families. Through on the ground organizing, grassroots leadership training, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement, TOP has made substantial gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family-sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights that have improved the lives of our communities. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, engaging hundreds of thousands of voters of color each election cycle.
At TOP, you will be encouraged to experiment and grow. TOP is searching for someone who centers our members’ fight, and moves the media to recognize that our members and staff are the experts they need to talk to when covering the issues that impact them.
More about the position: The Communications Coordinator in Dallas County is supervised by the Statewide Communications Coordinator and works with others on communications staff to assist with guiding and implementing internal and external communications to advance the organization’s campaigns, base building efforts, and overall goals.
● Assist Statewide Communications Coordinator with the development of communications plans – short and long-term – for campaigns and organization as a whole
● Operationalize and execute communications plans and duties for campaigns with a focus in Dallas County and assisting as needed with statewide needs
● Produce and edit internal and external communications materials for organizing and electoral campaigns
● Participate in power building activities in issue organizing and Get Out the Vote (GOTV), including but not limited to canvassing door-to-door, phone banking, and text banking, as needed.
● Manage and regularly update social media platforms with photos, videos, graphics, and news articles that amplify the organization’s work and advance its goals
● Maintain and update content on TOP websites, making sure the content is up-to-date and engaging
● Manage and execute strategy for growing TOP’s presence on social media platforms
● Maintain local, state, and national press lists
● Work with communications staff to develop and execute plans for more effective internal communications for existing as well as new TOP members and supporters
● Draft and send out essential member communications, including weekly newsletter and other mass emails
● Oversee press components at events TOP hosts and takes part in, including handling reporters at press conferences, direct and indirect actions, marches, rallies, and other activities
● Pitch, arrange, and facilitate media interviews with member spokespeople and staff, and performs adequate one on-one prepping in advance
● At least two years of experience in strategic communications for a grassroots community organization, labor union or political advocacy organization; organizing experience and training a plus
● Solid written and verbal communication skills
● Considerable knowledge of media outlets, including mainstream and alternative publications
● Ability to take initiative, to work with a team, and to handle multiple project and tight deadlines
● Ability and willingness to work long, irregular hours, sometimes including weekends, and early mornings, and evenings
● Understands the fundamentals of good graphic design and photography
● Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite and working knowledge of graphic design software and applications
How to apply:
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com. Please include at least three samples of your communications work, a combination of written, design and video.
**Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is within a bargaining unit that is represented by a union.
Salary Range: $45-48,000, depending on experience. Generous benefits package includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays including a weeklong period of rejuvenation at the end of each calendar year, vacation, parental leave, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.