About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP is the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state: Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. TOP has a base of more than 300,000 members and supporters who reflect Texas’ growing population of Black and Latino families. Through on the ground organizing, grassroots leadership training, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement, TOP has made substantial gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights that have improved the lives of our communities. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, engaging hundreds of thousands of voters of color each election cycle.
At TOP, you will be encouraged to experiment and grow. TOP is searching for someone who centers our members’ fight, and moves the media to recognize that our members and staff are the experts they need to talk to when covering the issues that impact them.
More about the position: The communications coordinator in Harris County is supervised by the communications director and works with others on communications staff to assist with guiding and implementing internal and external communications to advance the organization’s campaigns, base building efforts, and overall goals.
● Assist communications director with the development of communications plans – short and long-term – for campaigns and organization as a whole
● Operationalize and execute communications plans and duties for campaigns across the state
● Produce and edit internal and external communications materials for organizing and electoral campaigns
● Help with crafting messaging and talking points for various organizing and electoral campaigns
● Participate in power building activities in issue organizing and Get Out the Vote (GOTV), including but not limited to canvassing door-to-door, phone banking, and text banking, as needed.
● Manage and regularly update social media platforms with photos, videos, graphics, and news articles that amplify the organization’s work and advance its goals
● Monitor metrics and content on social media platforms while identifying areas for growth and improvement
● Serve as graphic designer for creation of digital graphics and print pieces
List growth and maintenance:
● Execute plans to grow the organization’s email and texting lists
● Manage and execute strategy for growing TOP’s presence on social media platforms
● Maintain local, state, and national press lists
● Assist with the creation and placement of ads on social media platforms to grow lists
● Maintain, update, and create online petitions, landing pages, templates, contacts, and email lists on communications portal EveryAction
● Work with communications staff to develop and execute plans for more effective internal communications for existing as well as new TOP members and supporters
● Draft and send out essential member communications, including weekly newsletter and other mass emails
● Maintain healthy lines of communication with active members and serve as a resource when needed
● Maintain and update content on TOP websites, making sure the content is up-to-date and engaging
● Work with communications director and technology to ensure basic functionality of website and troubleshoot as needed
● Work with communications director to draft and send out fundraising emails
● Craft plan with communications director and others on staff for enhancing online donor base
● Assist with fundraising efforts while maintaining cordial relationship with TOP donors, consultants, and other stakeholders
● Oversee press components at events TOP hosts and takes part in, including handling reporters at press conferences, direct and indirect actions, marches, rallies, and other activities
● Initiate contact with and respond to inquiries from print, radio, television, and online journalists; pitches story ideas and provide information to generate positive media coverage at the local, state, and national level
● Pitch, arrange, and facilitate media interviews with member spokespeople and staff, and performs adequate one-on-one prepping in advance
● Experienced in developing and maintaining productive relationships with media, especially in rapid response situations
● Collaborate effectively with allies and other national, state, and local groups to gain earned media at actions and events
● Strengthen the capacity of organizing staff – leading media trainings, developing internal resources, and providing valuable communications insight as well as press perspective
● Draft and edit speeches for members and staff to give at press events as well as public speaking engagements, and practice delivery with them
● Strengthen spokesperson skills of new and existing members through spokesperson workshops and one-on-one trainings.
● Possess a keen knowledge of current events at the local, state, and national level, and how this news connects to social and economic justice work, providing relevant news clips on a regular basis
● Participate in campaign strategy and planning meetings/calls with various staff and campaign directors to develop a more integrated strategic communications program to support organizing efforts
● Provide helpful communications updates to staff at weekly staff meeting and on a regular basis
● At least two years of experience in strategic communications for a grassroots community organization, labor union or political advocacy organization; organizing experience and training a plus
● Demonstrate ability to develop and execute strategic communications and media plans
● Solid written and verbal communication skills
● Considerable knowledge of media outlets, including mainstream and alternative publications
● Experience developing and maintaining credible and productive relationships with news media and in managing rapid/crisis response
● Ability to take initiative, to work with a team, and to handle multiple project and tight deadlines
● Strong professionalism and the ability to maintain good working relationships with staff and members
● Ability and willingness to work long, irregular hours, sometimes including weekends, and early mornings, and evenings
● Understands the fundamentals of good graphic design and photography
● Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite and working knowledge of graphic design software and applications
● Can multitask efficiently and with precision
How to apply:
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include at least three samples of your communications work, a combination of written, design, and video.
**Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is within a bargaining unit that is represented by a union.
Salary Range: $45-48,000, depending on experience. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.