About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP is the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state: Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. TOP has a base of more than 300,000 members and supporters who reflect Texas’ growing population of Black and Latino families.
Through on the ground organizing, grassroots leadership training, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement, TOP has made substantial gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights that have improved the lives of our communities. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, engaging hundreds of thousands of voters of color each election cycle.
Job Description: The Texas Organizing Project is looking for an experienced Executive Assistant with strong organizational skills to support our Co-Executive Director. Must be flexible, highly organized and have a proven ability to juggle multiple and competing tasks and demands. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy, and discretion to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing, and proofing materials.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate 3 to 5 years of experience in Executive support, including work experience at a nonprofit and/or union experience. The applicant will have strong problem solving skills, attention to detail, excellent follow-up skills, ability to track multiple projects, and advanced administrative skills.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Provides high level of administrative support to the Co-Executive Director
• Drives and participates in a variety of special projects (e.g. creation of Power Point presentations, research projects, etc.) to support the Co-Executive Director and the organization in achieving ambitious goals
• Provide programmatic support to TOP’s issue campaigns, political and organizational development work, where those things intersect with Co-Executive Directors responsibilities
• Manages flow of information for Co-Executive Director
• Tracks/monitors Co-Executive Directors tasks and projects to completion.
• Performs general administrative procedures with the ability to exercise independent judgment and prioritize work schedule.
• Interacts in person, over email, and via telephone with community partners, donors, elected officials, and TOP members and staff on an ongoing basis on behalf of the Co-Executive director
• Drafts correspondence, which may include letters, memos, and emails addressed to internal and external audiences.
• Organizes and maintains files.
• Acts as liaison with internal and external contacts.
• Maintains regular contact with the Board of Directors. Attends Board (and other) meetings; responsible for draft agendas, minutes, logistics and follow-up actions.
• Some travel required.
• Performs such other related duties as may be assigned or delegated by the Co-Executive Director.
• Other duties may include support of other senior staff.
• Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience as an assistant at the Executive level, non-profit or union experience preferred.
• Consistent and thorough attention to detail
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong proficiency with writing, editing and proofreading.
• Ability to work independently, under pressure and prioritize deadlines.
• Ability to anticipate next steps, takes initiative, exercises discretion, and applies sound judgment.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines in an interruption prone environment.
• Proficiency in designing PowerPoints/Google Slides/Canva, etc. presentations; Periodic design of PP/GS/
• Proven ability to handle confidential issues and materials.
• Ability to maintain a high standard of excellence in all tasks performed.
• Perform all job tasks and duties with diplomacy and a professional demeanor and appearance.
• Possess a good memory.
• Ability to work non-standard hours, as necessary.
• Show social responsibility and awareness and interact effectively with diverse populations.
• Familiarity with the workings of social justice organizations or non-profits is a highly desirable plus.
• Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
• Valid driver’s license, automobile insurance and a working automobile required.
• Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office, email programs, on-line calendars
Salary: $55-60,000. Generous benefits package includes: comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays including a weeklong period of rejuvenation at the end of each calendar year, vacation, parental leave, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
Send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references to email@example.com.
**Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.