About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP has grown to one of the leading grassroots organizing operations in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state — Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. We are a membership-based organization with a base of over 300,000 community members and supporters who are reflective of Texas’ growing population – Black, Latino, millennial, low-moderate income families. Through on the ground organizing, grassroots leader development, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement, we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments for neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, public schools, health access, criminal justice reform, and immigrant rights. TOP also runs the largest independent electoral field operations in the state, activating over 200,000 voters of color each election cycle.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Lead Digital Organizer is responsible for the development and implementation of online strategies that respond directly to campaign organizing goals that lead to community activation and offline organizing. The position involves working closely with the various departments within TOP to help develop digital strategies that will use our digital tools, such as Every Action, to generate the desired outcomes. The staff person will use data-informed methods to plan and execute digital strategies and tactics.
This is a fast-paced, self-driven position that requires a blend of interpersonal skills, creativity & flexibility, familiarity working with various tech platforms, and a willingness to complete different tasks every day. This role includes the typical responsibilities of an organizer, such as cultivating relationships, tracking metrics, and managing data, as well as digital marketing functions like content planning, and developing strategies that grow our community and increase engagement.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about TOP’s mission and be highly motivated about working in a fast growing organization. They must be committed to fighting for freedom and dignity for all communities of color, be a skilled multi-tasker, reliable, and be committed to meeting deadlines while working collaboratively across teams in a fast-paced environment. Although not required, a major plus if you are multilingual.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
● Strategize, develop, coordinate, and execute digital outreach tactics that respond to the overall goals of each department and the organization at large
● Integrate digital strategies at the planning level with the departments and teams
● Create data-informed recommendations for digital campaigns that leverage paid and organic social media, digital radio, digital TV, online actions, digital marketing, texting, phone banking, email marketing, paid digital ads, etc.
● Work with other departments and teams to recommend and implement strategies that will help them reach their goals while gathering our broader community online to offline in conjunction with the overall TOP strategy
● Assist in the identification and development of digital strategies aimed at building out departmental and organizational goals, while working with the Data Manager and other members of the communications team to help measure and analyze the effectiveness of such strategies
● Collaborate in the development of online and on-the-ground campaigns that broaden and deepen activism and engagement among members with specific interests
● Develop and implement the online organizing funnel framework placing key players in positions to succeed, while facilitating their understanding of the strategy and their role in it
● Plan & provide training to support the digital strategy of organizers, community leaders, and allies so they can participate effectively in campaign activities
● Support organizers in creating digital tactics to achieve their overarching goals
● Work with our communications team to help supporters share their stories through videos, images, writing, press interviews, storytelling training, etc.
● Participation in electoral organizing during election season on an as needed basis, including canvassing/door knocking, phone-banking & organizing TOP membership.
● Responsible for management of 2-3 digital organizers in day-to-day operations, including creation and execution of individual work plans, conducting performance reviews, and approving expenses.
● Perform other duties as required to support the work of the organization as a whole.
● Ability to conceptualize digital strategies in support of TOP’s mission: Can proactively create digital strategies to help TOP achieve its mission (which includes winning advocacy and electoral campaigns and building power in the state of Texas and its largest cities – Houston, Dallas and San Antonio).
● Must be able to craft strategic plans to impact departmental and organizational goals by using web-based tactics.
● Excellent writing skills: Ability to write compelling, error-free content for a variety of digital platforms. Ability to write and speak in English and Spanish is preferred.
● CRM Management skills: Have working knowledge of the EveryAction platform, including email blasts, list segmentation and management, fundraising, engagement, data entry, organizing, and reporting.
● Ability to collect metrics and use various tools to collect data: Should be able to draft regular reports gathering metrics across multiple platforms. Experience with data analytics is a plus. Some graphic design experience on any design software.
● Prioritization and flexibility: Focused on goals and able to problem-solve in order to meet them. Skilled at planning and tracking complex projects, can juggle competing priorities, and capable of adapting when plans need to change (which they sometimes do, unexpectedly).
● Mid-level to expert experience with social media and other digital marketing platforms such as Google ads, etc.
● Based in Texas: Applicants should be based in or willing to relocate to Texas. This position involves a mixture of site-based and remote work, including some travel.
● Alignment with TOP values and mission: Committed to an ideology of building community power and shares TOP’s commitment to membership grassroots decision-making.
● 3-5 years of experience in leading strategies for social media or digital marketing campaigns
● Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
● Up to 15% travel within state and occasional out of state travel.
● Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
● Willingness to learn and grow within the TOP culture.
TOP is an equal opportunity employer. Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position supervises positions that are within a bargaining unit that is represented by a union.
TO APPLY: Please email a resume, cover letter, portfolio material,and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary & Benefits: Full time position with a salary of $50,000 – 60,000. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays including a week-long period of rejuvenation at the end of each calendar year, vacation, parental leave, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.