About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP, has become the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. We have a base of over 300,000 members and supporters who are reflective of Texas’ growing population – people of color, low moderate income families. Through on the ground organizing, grass-roots leader training, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, activating over 200,000 voters of color each election cycle.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Relational Organizer (San Antonio) TOP is seeking a relational organizer who is highly motivated, creative and committed to social justice. Working under the supervision of the Texas4All Coordinator, the relational organizer will be directly responsible for developing relationships with community members to establish an active group who can effectively build a large-scale network of friends and family that have shared values in a Texas 4 All.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
● Build relationships with TOP membership base
● Identify, recruit and develop grassroots leaders through event programing, one on ones, and ongoing training
● Work with campaign organizers to develop base building goals that integrate Texas 4 All
● Help develop a comprehensive strategy to build a relational organizing program
● Maintain regular communications withTOP membership
● Prepare written reports and compile statistical data as required
● Consistently track and input data into EveryAction database, training provided
● Consistent (weekly) community outreach and base-building responsibilities, including but not limited to canvassing/door-knocking; phone banking, text banking, etc.
● Participation in electoral organizing during election season on an as needed basis, including canvassing/door knocking, phone-banking & organizing TOP membership.
Qualifications and Competencies:
● Strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice.
● Strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills.
● Ability to work well with all religious, cultural, ethnic and social groups.
● Ability to move community members to action.
● Ability to identify, recruit and develop community leaders.
● Willingness to work long and often irregular hours including evenings and weekends.
● Willingness to learn and grow within the TOP culture.
● Full Time access to a car.
● Bilingual in both Spanish and English strongly preferred.
● Computer competency – Word, Internet required; Experience in working with database systems (VAN or other) is a plus.
● Organizing experience is a plus but not required
This position is within a bargaining unit that is represented by a union.
***Salary: $40-43,000. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays including a weeklong period of rejuvenation at the end of each calendar year, vacation, parental leave, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
**Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should email cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.