About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP):
Founded in 2009, TOP, has become the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest
metro regions of the state, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. We have a base of over 300,000 members and
supporters who are reflective of Texas’ growing population – people of color, low-moderate income families.
Through on the ground organizing, grass-roots leader training, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral
engagement we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, activating over 200,000 voters of color each election cycle.
Texas Organizing Project is seeking a talented and dedicated Bexar County Right2Justice Organizer to help build our organization as part of an exciting effort interweaving community grassroots organizing, electoral organizing, and policy advocacy focused on criminal justice reform in Texas. The Bexar County Right2Justice Organizer will be key in working with directly impacted community members and civic leaders to establish an active group of leaders who will expose the injustices of our current wealth-based criminal legal system.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
● Build a base of directly impacted community members, primarily utilizing our Bexar co bailout list
● Identify, recruit and develop grassroots leaders through campaign activities and ongoing training
● Work with members to build and or maintain a Right2Justice campaign committee
● Organize and drive turnout to events including neighborhood meetings press conferences, town halls, community dinners and forums at least once a month
● Conduct grassroots lobbying activities with community leaders including petition drives, letter writing campaigns and meetings with local elected officials
● Help develop and execute organizing plans; implement effective strategies to engage directly impacted communities.
● Develop and maintain relationships with community allies
● Prepare written reports and compile statistical data as required
● Consistently track and input data into TOP database(s)–including EveryAction and My Case, training provided
● Consistent (weekly) community outreach and base-building responsibilities, including but not limited to canvassing, one-on-one visits, phone banking, hot-spotting, text banking, etc.
● Participation in electoral organizing during election season on an as needed basis, including canvassing/door-knocking, phone-banking
● Develop relationships with support services to facilitate community connection.
● Provide as needed administrative support to Bexar county bailout efforts
● Other duties, as required
Qualifications and Competencies:
● Strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice.
● Strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills.
● Ability to work well with all religious, cultural, ethnic and social groups.
● Ability to move community members to action.
● Ability to identify, recruit and develop community leaders.
● Willingness to work long and often irregular hours including evenings and weekends.
● Willingness to learn and grow within the TOP culture.
● Full Time access to a car strongly preferred
● Bilingual in both Spanish and English strongly preferred but not required
● Computer competency – Word and Excel required; Experience in working with database systems (VAN or other) is a plus.
This position is within a bargaining unit that is represented by a union.
***Salary & Benefits: $51,850 to $54,500 or commensurate with experience. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), staff development, paid holidays including a week-long summer break and year-end week of rejuvenation, personal time, parental leave, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
**Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should email cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com.