About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP, has become the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. We have a base of over 100,000 members and supporters who are reflective Texas’ growing population – people of color, low-moderate income families. Through on the ground organizing, grass-roots leader training, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, activating over 200,000 voters of color each election cycle.
TOP is seeking a digital organizer who is highly motivated, creative and committed to social justice. Working under the supervision of the tech director or lead organizer, usually in coordination with campaigns, the digital organizer helps implement digital strategy at the policy, political and organizing level, grow social media presence and engagement, and support and build campaigns and organizing efforts. The goal of this position will be to establish an active group of community leaders who can effectively advocate for criminal justice reform, the accountability of elected officials, and effective policy reforms across Texas.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
● Follow up on hot leads generated through digital outreach
● Identify and create ways to build the list of TOP supporters on a digital front
● Build a community membership base
● Identify, recruit and develop grassroots leaders through campaign activities and ongoing training
● Organize and drive turnout to events including neighborhood meetings, press conferences, town halls, and forums
● Conduct grassroots lobbying activities with community leaders including petition drives, letter writing campaigns and meetings with local elected officials
● Help develop and execute organizing plans; map out key community and constituent targets; and identify and implement effective strategies to engage impacted communities
● Prepare written reports and compile statistical data as required
● Prep members for public speaking opportunities
● Manage and maintain robust presence on social media, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
● Write and create compelling, well-sourced content to organize members and constituents to take action
● In collaboration with organizing staff, use social media, email, online advertising and other digital tools to develop online-to-offline organizing programs
● Develop strategies aimed at targeting, building and retaining membership segments based on issue, campaign, demographic and other variables to deepen activism and engagement among members with specific interests
● Track, understand and apply analytics and metrics to measure effectiveness of tools and strategies
● Build relationships and strengthen partnerships with ally organizations, affiliates, and community
members to support priorities
● Participate in evaluation of digital content and campaign metrics to guide and inform future content and
strategies as part of a culture of continuous, data-driven learning and evaluation.
● Perform other duties as required
Qualifications and Competencies:
● Strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice
● Strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills
● Ability to work well with all religious, cultural, ethnic and social groups
● Ability to move community members to action
● Ability to identify, recruit and develop community leaders
● Willingness to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends
● Willingness to learn and grow within the TOP culture
● Preferred 1-2 years organizing experience and/or creating high-quality digital content and campaigns to move people to take action.
● Computer competency – Zoom, Google Docs, Internet required; experience in working with database systems (VAN or other) is a plus.
● Excellent project management and time management skills: ability both rapidly respond to day-to-day needs while conceiving and implementing bigger projects over time
● Ability to develop and maintain a variety of relationships on multiple levels.
● Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, manage multiple projects.
● Ability to take direction and constructive feedback.
● Excellent organizational skills including superior attention to detail.
● Bilingual in Spanish and English languages is preferred
**Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary range is $40,000 – $45,000. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com.