About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP, has become the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. We have a base of over 277,000 members and supporters who are reflective Texas’ growing population – people of color, low-moderate income families. Through on the ground organizing, grass-roots leader trainings, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, activating over 200,000 voters of color each election cycle.
Position: Right2Justice Lead Organizer (Harris County)
Key Areas of Responsibility:
● Build a membership base with a focus on directly-impacted folks from Black and Latino communities across Harris County
● Develop leaders in accordance with TOP’s established leadership ladder
● Manage Harris County R2J organizing staff to ensure consistent implementation, evaluation and improvement
● Drive campaign strategy, aligned with collective priorities in Harris County
● Assist in program and campaign design to ensure proper integration across the organization and it priorities
● Design systems of evaluation across the organization to ensure strong mission alignment, efficiency and outcomes
● Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the electoral, Latinx and Black communities
● Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile
● Establish good working relationships with community partners to help achieve the goals of the organization
● Develop and manage membership recruitment, development and retention systems
● Assist with fundraising as needed
● Assist with other duties assigned as necessary
Competencies and Qualifications:
● 3-5 years of professional organizing experience
● Minimum of 2 years managing organizing staff
● Excellent community organizing skills, strategizing, and execution of organizing campaigns
● Passion and commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
● Belief in and ability to animate TOP’s values: Solidarity, Visionary, and Regeneration
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated focus on, outreach, within targeted communication
● Critical thinking and problem solving skills
● Relentless drive, tenacity and a willingness to do what it takes to advance our mission and values
● Excellent time management, project management, and delegation skills
● Ability to work effectively with strong personalities, peers, public officials, and allies
● Familiarity with nonprofit role in advocacy
● Similar experience in grassroots organizing, labor, or political organization
● Preferred: Bilingual in English and Spanish
● Willingness to work long and often irregular hours, including evenings and weekends
● Full time access to a car
● Computer competency – Word, Google Suite, Internet required; Experience in working with database systems a plus
TOP is an equal opportunity employer.
Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Please email a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com.
***Salary will be $42,000 – $43,500, depending on experience. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.