About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP is the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state: Houston, Dallas And San Antonio. TOP has a base of more than 300,000 members and supporters who reflect Texas Growing population of Black and Latino families. Through on the ground organizing, grassroots leadership training, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement, TOP has made substantial gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs,affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights that have improved the lives of our communities. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, engaging hundreds of thousands of voters of color each election cycle.
Job Description: TOP is looking for an experienced Staff Accountant to fulfill accounting duties. The Staff Accountant will be part of the Finance team which supports professional experienced Community Organizers, Electoral Campaigners, and Neighborhood Activists as we continue to build an organization of low-to-moderate income Texans in communities of color. The Staff Accountant will complete the necessary duties to support the organization.
Key areas of responsibility include:
● Perform Data Entry and administrative duties for TOP/TOP EF/TOP PAC
● All companies GL accounts and subsidiary accounts monthly reconciliation
● Processing monthly bills, invoices, and employee reimbursements
● Entering credit card charges into Accounting Database
● Ensuring proper backup is received in a timely manner i.e receipts.
● Maintaining electronic filing of all paperwork on a daily, weekly, monthly basis; information when needed can be pulled quickly and accurately; all paperwork has required signatures and notations
● Assisting Finance Director with compliance needs
● Assisting Finance Director with yearly audit requirements, 990 preparation, and all other end of year activities as required. Responds to requests by donors for tax receipts and employees for w-2 issuance and corrections; processes end of year 1099’s; maintains contractor files and W-9’s.
● Prepare status/finance reports for various grants prepare budgets and projections for various grants; submit invoices as needed; manage grant agreements; record A/R appropriately in QB; recognizes promises to give; records restricted/unrestricted grants as required by grantor & legal requirements
● Maintains adequate cash on the TOP credit card and in the TOP bank account
● Participation in electoral organizing during election season on an as needed basis, including canvassing/door-knocking, phone-banking
Qualifications and competencies:
● Knowledge of ADP Workforce Now
● QuickBooks experience is a MUST.
● Experience in using Google Sheets, Docs, and Gmail
● Aptitude in prioritizing tasks, and innovative problem solving
● Flexible, reliable, organized, self-motivated, and has attention to detail
● Self-starter who takes on additional responsibilities without direction and works well under pressure
● Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed.
● Show social responsibility and awareness and interact effectively with diverse populations
● Familiarity with the workings of social justice organizations or non-profits is a highly desirable plus.
Salary: $50,350–$53,000. Generous benefits package includes: comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays including a week-long period of rejuvenation at the end of each calendar year, vacation, parental leave, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three professional references to
**Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.