About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP, has become the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. We have a base of over 300,000 members and supporters who are reflective of Texas’ growing population – people of color, low-moderate income families. Through on the ground organizing, grass-roots leader training, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, activating over 200,000 voters of color each election cycle.
Job description: Statewide Community Bail Disruptor (Based in San Antonio) TOP is seeking a Statewide Bail Disruptor who is highly motivated, creative and committed to social justice. This position is grant funded and guaranteed for at least three months with the potential for extension as funding allows. Working under the management of the Statewide Right2Justice Coordinator, the Statewide Bail Disruptor will be directly responsible for identifying individuals within the Bexar, Harris and Dallas county jail and executing their bails. Duties will include developing relationships with the community, collecting data and stories giving these clients an advocacy platform that exposes the need for bail reform in Texas. Our work will be widely published and made available to partner organizations that are focusing on advocacy, litigation, and legislation. By diligently cataloguing our results and empowering our clients to take center stage in the fight against mass incarceration, Bail Disruptors allow us to expose the injustices of our current wealth-based criminal legal system.
Key Area of Responsibilities:
● Statewide Bail Disruptor is tasked with doing front-end research with county stakeholders like the Sheriff’s office, Public Defender’s Office and Re-entry to identify candidates for TOP to bail out
● Meet remotely (could be by phone or other tech devices) and eventually in-person with clients to understand their circumstances
● Meticulously track data, including biographical information, court dates, charges, amount of bond, etc. using SalesForce (or other comparable databases)
● Create a system to remind folks that we bail out about upcoming court dates
● Create a database of local support services that folks who are bailed out can be referred to post release. Develop relationships with support services to facilitate client connection.
● Create a story-bank for a percentage of the people (and possibly their networks) that are bailed out
● Maintain a list of hot leads–those who might be down to organize with TOP post release for organizer follow-up (includes creating a system of consistent communication with organizing staff)
● Create systems that maintain confidentiality
● Strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice.
● Strong interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills.
● Willingness to work long and often irregular hours including evenings and weekends.
● Willingness to learn and grow within the TOP culture.
● Full-time access to a car.
● Travel: 30% of time.
● Bilingual in both Spanish and English strongly preferred.
● Computer competency – Word, Internet required; Experience in working with database systems (VAN, SalesForce or other) is a plus.
● Must be willing to work independently as well as in collaborative teams.
● Meticulous attention to detail.
● Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is within a bargaining unit that is represented by a union.
Salary: $45,000–$48,500 a year, depending on experience. Generous benefits package includes: comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays including a weeklong period of rejuvenation at the end of each calendar year, vacation, parental leave, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.