Job Description: The Statewide Data Manager oversees our data tracking and usage across our issue organizing, member and leader development, mobile app and general organizational infrastructure statewide. The ideal candidate has experience in community and/or political organizing, strong analytical and quantitative skills, a passion for progressive politics, and experience
working with spreadsheet and database programs.
The Data Manager is responsible for managing and streamlining data and data analysis across the organization’s three offices. TOP is a fast-paced organization, engaging hundreds of leaders and community members across the state on a daily basis. We are seeking an individual who can ensure that we are capturing, tracking and continually assessing data from our issue and political campaigns organization-wide. Most importantly, the data manager will ensure that data is used strategically and efficiently to maximize our impact working with our statewide organizing and political directors.
● Manage all database structures and processes related to organization-wide needs including community organizing via the EveryAction database and some political
organizing utilizing the Voter Activation Network (VAN)
● Adapt and improve databases to meet the needs of the organization as they evolve
● Create and manage reporting/data entry processes and integrity across all three offices
● Co-manage the other data managers with their local supervisors
● Work directly with campaign coordinators to ensure that data is being used strategically to maximize our organizing efforts
● Maintain vigilant management and oversight of databases to improve data quality through enforcing protocols, quality-control checking, as well as finding and fixing errors
● Ensure ongoing training of staff on database use
● Analyze data and provide reports and assessments to management team on a regular basis to improve organizing and campaign efforts and methodology
● Manage the administrative side of the TOP mobile app. Ensure users are getting the appropriate content and that campaigns and offices are maximizing its use. Regularly issue reports and updates on app’s effectiveness
● Manage the TOP phone account: assign numbers, obtain SIM cards and maintain the official staff directory.
● Passion for social, racial, and economic justice and progressive political change is a must
● Candidates should have experience in community organizing and/or direct voter contact programs especially in low-income communities
● Candidates should have experience in the use of data and analytics to drive effective decision-making
● 5+ years of experience with databases, in particular VAN as well as other online organizational databases
● Strong quantitative and analytical skills
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate technical subjects to non-technical individuals
● Experience with spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel required; knowledge of Microsoft Access preferred
● Experience managing staff including data entry staff or volunteers a plus
● Diplomatic, professional approach to problem solving and the ability to think independently and creatively.
● Must be a self-starter with the ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently; willing to work sometimes long, irregular hours and to travel as needed
● Familiarity with IRS rules governing 501(C)3 and 501(C)4 organizations and maintaining appropriate boundaries between them in terms of data and other relevant information a plus.
● Spanish language skills a plus.
Location: Houston, Dallas or San Antonio
This position supervises positions that are within a bargaining unit that is represented by a union.
Salary Range: $45,000 – $55,000, depending on experience
Benefits: Include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays including a weeklong period of rejuvenation at the end of each calendar year, vacation, parental leave, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
To Apply: Send a cover letter outlining your qualifications for this position, resume, and three references to email@example.com.
TOP is an equal opportunity employer.
Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.