About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP has become the leading statewide organizing group in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. A membership-based organization, TOP conducts issue advocacy, lobbying efforts and electoral organizing by empowering working families in Texas. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. We have a base of over 300,000 members and supporters who are reflective of Texas’ growing population – people of color, low-moderate income families. TOP campaigns include six issue areas: affordable health care, immigrants’ rights, quality public education, living wage jobs, neighborhood rights, affordable housing, and criminal legal reform.
Through on the ground organizing, grass-roots leader trainings, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments in neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, community schools, health access and immigrant rights. TOP also runs the largest independent grassroots electoral field operation in the state, activating over 200,000 voters of color each election cycle. Be a part of creating real change in Texas. Apply now to help build a movement in Texas that creates a vehicle for working class families to win concrete improvements in our communities.
Position: Strategic Campaign Researcher
Competencies and Qualifications:
● Passion and commitment to social, economic, and racial justice
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Critical thinking and problem solving skills
● Strong research & quantitative skills.
● Computer competency (including but not limited to usage of: Word, Google Suite, Access; experience with database systems)
● Self-disciplined and rigorous work ethic
● Experience utilizing research data to inform and develop campaign strategies
● Ability to work well under tight deadlines and in a team environment
● Ideal candidate will have activist experience in labor, political or community organizing
● Ideal candidate will have research experience in the following: economic / financial research on company or industries, budget analysis of public agency and publicly funded agencies, corporate campaigning
Responsibilities: Researchers are responsible for conducting in-depth research in support of assigned campaigns. This particular position will support criminal justice reform campaign efforts in San Antonio and Dallas and campaign, policy and power analysis research for our San Antonio organizing efforts. The researcher will develop and execute a research work plan that reflects campaign objectives working jointly with their direct supervisor, campaign coordinators and organizing leads, and member leaders.
This work will include:
● Exploratory campaign research, data gathering, and analysis
● Condensing large amounts of data/research into short topline/headlines/talking points
● Creation of campaign materials (including reports), and community education tools and activities
● Analyzing various systems that impact our issue campaigns at city, county, and state level
● Assessing existing city/county priorities
● Creating profiles of key political, corporate, community stakeholder individuals, and organizations
● Auditing campaign financial records of key political targets
● Creating network maps of key political, corporate, community stakeholder individuals and organizations.
● Participation in electoral organizing during election season on an as needed basis, including canvassing/door knocking, phone-banking
● Consistently track and input data into EveryAction database, training provided
TOP is an equal opportunity employer. Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Please email a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com with “Strategic Campaigns Researcher” in the subject line. This position is within a bargaining unit that is represented by a union.
***Salary will be $40,000-$43,000, depending on experience. Benefits include comprehensive
medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays including a week-long period of rejuvenation at the end of
each calendar year, vacation, parental leave, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.