There is no question about the inevitable demographic future of Texas. Every day it grows younger and more ethnically diverse. The question has always been when that change happens and whether or not governance and governing power in the state will be harnessed towards a more reflective and equitable society (versus the current corporate welfare state that continues to drive a widening wealth gap). We believe that democracy and governance in Texas should express our values and look like our people, not the mismatched reality of today’s divisive, apartheid conditions. In order to accomplish this, progressive in-state organizations have made a commitment to building the infrastructure needed to facilitate coordination among a diverse coalition of organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every Texan’s right to vote.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: A coalition of organizations in state are seeking to hire an experienced consultant who will own and drive a collaborative process with a coalition of in-state partners, national partners and key stakeholders that will result in the necessary formations to advance these goals, specifically putting in place a c4 Coordinating table ahead of the 2022 election cycle and setting the framework of infrastructure needed long-term across multiple tiers of electoral and progressive issue-based organizing program.
Contract duration: 5 months
The Project Manager will be responsible for:
● Driving a collaborative process with partner organizations to define the comprehensive structure needed to support the work of Texas progressive organizations – c3, c4, Independent Expenditure and PAC Coordinated electoral programs and possibly coordinated legislative and issue-based organizing work; Specific deliverable will include:
○ A defined set of goals plus shared theory of change for the work together
○ Organizational infrastructure chart across the multiple entities – that includes budget and staffing needs
○ Defined governance structure and bylaws
● Work with Consultant Advisor on strategy and facilitation of the process
● Conducting the research necessary to provide partner organizations with data and analysis to make informed decisions on structure – including investigation of other table structures, interviews with staff in other states, etc.
● Working with legal counsel to inform these structures
● Coordinating, onboarding, and facilitating a coalition of partners to be part of this planning process
● Launching a c4 Coordinating Table by end of year in time for 2022 cycle
● Coordinating, onboarding, and facilitating a coalition of partners to join the TEXAS c4 Coordinating Table
● Working with the Board of Directors to develop bylaws, a governance structure, and dues paying membership rubric
● Managing a budget for the formation of the (TEXAS c4 Coordinating Table)
● Work with Development staff to support fundraising plan for the formation of the (TEXAS c4 Coordinating Table)
This position reports directly to Lead Steering Committee Staff member, works with primary Consultant Advisor and consults with organizational steering committee members.
● Ideal candidates will have 4-6 years of experience in progressive political campaigns, progressive non-profits (with an organizing focus), or within similar entities
● At least 2 years of experience working in a coalition including experience facilitating and working within broad and diverse coalitions
● Experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, particularly in political, electoral, and organizing settings
● Experience with writing a statewide strategic plan for electoral and organizing plans, paid media, digital plans, and campaign field operations including canvass operations
● Demonstrated ability to build consensus, negotiate, and strategically disagree within a highly collaborative work environment;
● Ability to be respected by progressive stakeholders, to be trusted to lead and to be able to practice confidentiality, discretion and legal compliance in the work
● Ability to build strong relationships with partners and allies and to cultivate those relationships over the long term
● Ability to work independently and to drive and manage own workload; ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively by making and meeting team goals
● Experience with data and targeting, using data to inform organizing and electoral campaign strategies
● Excellent writing, communication, presentation, and time management skills, with attention to detail
● Ability to travel within the state (as needed); ability to work sometimes long, irregular hours, especially during the peak months of the electoral cycle. Must be a self-starter
● Candidates should have a spirit of service and curiosity, along with a diplomatic approach to problem-solving in work with outside partners and while working independently or on a team
● Positive attitude and a sense of humor.
● Knowledge of and experience with Texas political landscape and/or independent expenditure political campaigns
● Experience in working with electoral tables
● Knowledge of and experience with organizing and electoral work in the context of diverse states or battleground priority states
● Familiarity with VAN (Voter Activation Network) and familiarity with digital campaign technology
● Experience or training in race equity/anti-racist frameworks; a general understanding of how power intersects with gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and class in organizing and electoral settings
LOCATION: This position can be based in Austin or remote elsewhere in Texas, and may require travel around the
state. Due to the pandemic, most work will be virtual TBD.
COMPENSATION: The salary for this position will be between $7,500 to $8,500 per month with the expectation of full time work. Salary dependent upon the applicant’s experience. The contract will sit with Texas For All coalition partner Texas Freedom Network.
Send statements of work to Crystal Zermeno at email@example.com.
Texas Freedom Network is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive
culture. TFN encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, or