About the Texas Organizing Project (TOP): Founded in 2009, TOP has grown to one of the leading grassroots organizing operations in Texas, advancing racial and economic justice through community and electoral organizing. Our programs are anchored in the three largest metro regions of the state — Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. We are a membership-based organization with a base of over 300,000 community members and supporters who are reflective of Texas’ growing population – Black, Latino, millennial, low-moderate income families. Through on the ground organizing, grassroots leader development, direct action, policy advocacy and electoral engagement, we have made gains in policy solutions and public investments for neighborhood infrastructure, family sustaining jobs, affordable housing, public schools, health access, criminal justice reform, and immigrant rights. TOP also runs the largest independent electoral field operations in the state, activating over 200,000 voters of color each election cycle.
We are a family of organizations, consisting of a 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and political action committee (PAC). Texas Organizing Project Education Fund (TOPEF) is a 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to improve the lives of low and moderate income Texas families of color by building power through community organizing and civic engagement. Texas Organizing Project (TOP) is a sister C4 entity with a membership base comprised of low moderate income largely Black and Latino Texans, that conducts issue advocacy, lobbying efforts, and electoral organizing as well as endorses candidates on behalf of its membership and low-moderate income Texans. Texas Organizing Project PAC (TOPPAC) engages in large scale voter engagement and mobilization efforts aligned with TOP-endorsed candidates and issue organizing campaigns with a focus on expanding the electorate with infrequent and new voters of color.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Texas Organizing Project has been working to create a Texas4All for over a decade, where our democracy looks like us, reflects our values, responds to our needs and moves to our rhythm in our community. Texas would not be the same without our model of organizing that blends, year-round community and electoral organizing in the four largest counties, with the densest concentration of Black folks and Latinos. With over a decade of experience–organizing across Texas–under our belt, we are continuing to evolve and know that our organizing tool belt needs to expand to include in-house talent to create compelling content that moves/inspires our base and not only keeps pace with what’s going on in the world, but helps create the pace. A significant part of realizing our Texas4All vision hinges on our ability to initially connect with Black and Latino Texans on various media and digital platforms and inspire online and offline action. We need to be able to capture hearts and minds! Your job is to launch and lead the ongoing work of the TOP News Network. As originally envisioned, a member podcast is at the heart of a multi-platform network that spreads the TOP values and stories far and wide!
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
● Lead the launch and run the TOP News Network
● Develop and manage content quality control processes, to ensure a standard message is delivered
● Manage a team, as funding allows
● Approving the financial and design aspects of a TNN production
● Ensuring that all productions have a playbook and all staff and members get proper training for their assigned roles
● Promoting finished productions or works via film festivals, conferences, interviews and advertisements
● Support the political team on creation of content that contributes to accomplishing ‘Destination 2023’ goals
● Collaborate with Tech Department to utilize/develop tools for quantifying impact/reach of TNN work
● Plan and coordinate media and public events, media outreach and interviews, including preparation of members and spokespeople, for TNN
● Assistance in nourishing already existing infrastructure and developing new infrastructure to build a base of digitally engaged Black and Latino Texans
● Edit and manage a steady flow of high-quality video content for TOP website, social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
● 4-5 years of experience producing content.
● Experience with video editing software.
● Spanish speaker preferred.
● Experience training folks to use the tools of the trade, like image editors/processors, NLE and publishing tools.
● Knowledge of and relationships within the local and state progressive movement with a strong commitment to social justice and social change.
● Up to 15% travel within state and occasional out of state travel.
● Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
● Willingness to learn and grow within the TOP culture.
**Women of color and directly impacted individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
***This position supervises positions that are within a bargaining unit that is represented by a union.
Salary & Benefits: Full time position with a salary of $75,000 – 85,000. Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays including a week-long period of rejuvenation at the end of each calendar year, vacation, parental leave, sick leave, and travel reimbursement.
How to Apply: Submit resume, cover letter, 1 page grant-writing sample, and contact for three references in Word or PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org.