TOP PAC Reached Over 260,000 TX Voters
The following statement is from Michelle Tremillo, Co-Executive Director of the Texas Organizing Project (TOP), in response to the group’s efforts in the 2022 Texas Democratic Primary:
“At the end of 2021, Texas Organizing Project (TOP) PAC launched an intensive candidate screening process aimed at endorsing primary candidates who are unapologetic in their commitment to justice and transforming our state into one where Black and Latino Texans can thrive. The result was a slate of 22 endorsed leaders ready to champion progressive policies to uplift our communities.
“Over the past four weeks, our get-out-the-vote program outreached through canvassing, texting, phone-banking, and mailers to over 260,000 Texans, not only about our endorsed candidates, but on issues that impact their daily lives.
“Connecting these issues to the ballot box, and subsequently the elected officeholders who address these issues, is where our voter engagement work proves to be vital. It’s an essential part of our goal to bring to life a true Texas for all.”
Ray Brackens, Harris County TOP board member, added:
“We know there is no pathway to build progressive power in our state — to truly make a Texas that works for everyone — without meaningful and sustained voter engagement in Black and Latino communities.”
“Each and every election cycle, we are building the progressive infrastructure we need in our communities to connect with these voters and organize around their issues. This is how we shift the political landscape in our state, and how we put more power into the hands of Black and Latino Texans.”
TOP PAC congratulates the following endorsed candidates in advancing or winning their Democratic primary races, as of this afternoon:
- Jessica Cisneros (Congress, TX-28)
- Jasmine Crockett (Congress, TX-30)
- Greg Casar (Congress, TX-35)
- Lina Hidalgo (Harris County Judge)
- Adrian Garcia (Harris County Commissioner, Pct. 2)
- Ben Chou (Harris County Commissioner, Pct. 4)
- Ron Reynolds (Texas House, Dist. 27)
- Alma Allen (Texas House, Dist. 131)
- Jon Rosenthal (Texas House, Dist. 135)
- Jason Luong (District Judge, 185th Judicial Dist.)
- Steve Duble (Harris County Justice of the Peace, Pct. 1, Pl. 2)
- Melissa Saenz (Bexar County Court #2)
- Andrea Arevalos (Bexar County Court #5)
- Melanie Lira (Bexar County Court #7)
Texas Organizing Project PAC runs the largest, independent Get-out-the-Vote political field programs in Texas, focusing on expanding the electorate of color, with an emphasis on turning out Black and Latino voters. To date, TOP PAC has mobilized hundreds of thousands of voters across the state with the aim of building a reflective democracy–one that looks like us and shares our values.
This statement was sent out March 2, 2022.